Thursday 19 March 2015

Alfons de Awesome




I don't quite know what it is about Alfons de Letter, but I just LOVE this shop.

Maybe it's the fact that they seem to be able to personalise pretty much anything. Perhaps it's the great range of retro and random signs for sale, in metal, ceramic, enamel, wood or plastics. Or maybe I have a thing for fonts. (Actually, I know I have a thing for fonts.) The photo below gives you an idea of the sort of stuff they sell. The quirky toilet signs are my particular favourites.


The company was founded in 1909 by a Mr Earl as a manufacturer of stamps and nameplates, and subsequently expanded by the Jaring family. At this time, all engraving was done my hand or using pantograph machines with templates. The company now known as Alfons de Letter has been around since 1978 and, thanks to advancements in technology and much faster production times, can produce text on almost any medium. This has enabled the company to expand its reach into advertising, both at home and abroad.

And the other great thing about this shop is its location - just seconds from Spui and with some great cafes nearby. Drop in after munching on some of the best sandwiches in Amsterdam at Singel 404 – if you're lucky enough to bag a table, that is.


No comments:

Post a Comment